The Voices In My Head

Ramblings of a Bangkokian Girl

Wednesday, June 30, 2004

A Histology Lesson - Look-Chin Style

I stopped by my cousin's house the other day to drop something off for my mom, and while I was there, I chatted with my aunt as she prepared some look-chin pla for my cousins. Because I am a nerd, I am going to enlighten you all with a brief Histology lesson, look-chin style.

In Thai, look-chin means meat ball. A great variety of said meat balls can be found here in the Land of Smiles, for example:

Look-chin pla = Fish balls
Look-chin moo = No, not cow balls (moooo!), but pork balls
Look-chin neua = Beef balls
Look-chin gai = Chicken balls (Does this mean that guys are chicken? Heh, j/k.)
Look-chin goong = Shrimp balls
Look-chin pla-meuk = Squid balls
Look-chin maa = Dog balls (Hah! Gotcha there, now didn't I? Don't worry, we don't eat dogs here... at least most of us don't.)


Heh, dog balls. Now why does that sound really dirty? =X Anyways, now that I've gotten that look-chin bit all cleared up, let's continue on with our lesson, shall we?


A HISTOLOGY LESSON
Look-Chin Style


EXHIBIT #1: Your normal, ordinary erythrocyte, or red blood cell.
Note the nice biconcave disc shape, which provides a 20-30% greater surface area than a sphere relative to cell volume, thus significantly enhancing gaseous exchange. This shape, along with the fluidity of the plasma membrane, allows the erythrocyte to deform readily, and thus erythrocytes are able to pass through the smallest capillaries.
(Yeah, I had to look that up. My brain isn't sophisticated enough for me to spout fancy medical jargon like that.)


An actual image of a bunch of erythrocytes, bouncing along oh so merrily.



EXHIBIT #2: A sickle cell.
Unlike lucky schmuck Mr. Erythrocyte above, poor l'il sickle cell here is sickle-shaped (duh, that's why it's called a sickle cell).
Because of their shape, they are unable to squeeze through smaller blood vessels. As if life weren't unfair enough already, sickle cells only live to be 60 days long, whereas those erythroyte bastards live up to 120 days! Also, because the body cannot make new red blood cells as fast as it loses sickle blood cells, the result is that sickle-cell patients end up having less blood cells and less hemoglobin than your average person. This can lead to loads of symptoms. If you're interested (though I bet you couldn't care less), you can read more about it here.



An actual image of a sickle cell, lonely amongst a sea of perfect, flawless erythrocytes. How sad.



OK, so why have I suddenly inserted a picture of the once popular (where have they disappeared to? I miss them) R&B group, TLC? Because T-Boz has sickle-cell anemia and is also a spokesperson for the SCDAA. Yay for T-Boz.



EXHIBIT #3: A spherocyte.
I'm too lazy to tell you what spherocytes are all about, but you can read more about it here... if you're interested (but lemme guess again, you couldn't care less?).



Spot the spherocyte!



EXHIBIT #4: And the cutest of 'em all... an astrocyte!
Astrocytes can be found in your CNS and are known for having voracious appetites. Since they're phagocytotic, they basically engulf and gobble up any debris that happens to cross their path. Yeah, they're gluttonous little buggers.


And again, an actual image of an astrocyte.


~*~


OK, so now that you've all expired from boredom, I will end this here and leave you with this very important public message:





Currently Playing: Flowers in the Window by Travis
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by JK Rowling (Any HP fans out there have probably already heard that the next installment of JK Rowling's fantastic Harry Potter series is going to be titled "Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince". Please, please hurry up with book 6, Mrs. R!)

19 Comments:

  • At 2:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    HAHAHA that was the most excellent lesson i've ever learned. Although I don't really eat fish balls :X Great usage of T-Boz haha. You should teach a class at your University.

    -Pam :)

     
  • At 2:24 AM, Blogger Lynn said…

    Pam: Heh, I'm not so fond of fish balls either, but they sure do beat those liver dumplings you sometimes find in kuay thiew. Ewwww... =X

     
  • At 8:46 AM, Blogger james said…

    That was too funny, totally unexpected. I'm hungry now!

     
  • At 11:29 AM, Blogger jeremy said…

    lol!!! nice one... especially the sickle-cell salapow.

     
  • At 1:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hahaha that picture is funny and so true:D
    interesting lesson, i found my biology lessons again!:D

     
  • At 1:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i must do something about my long term memo
    that was me Poeh:D

     
  • At 4:42 PM, Blogger Pisal said…

    The best way to explaining someone is visual representation, and it just hit me when I saw the Look-Chin explanation.

    Great ;) Maybe you could add some food coloring to make it resemble even closer!

    LOL, just kidding :P

     
  • At 5:43 PM, Blogger Lynn said…

    James: Do they sell look-chins at any Asian/Thai stores or restaurants in Maine? Maybe you can find a way to make some look-chin Maine lobster. =D

    Jeremy: Yay, sickle-cell look-chins are my specialty!

    Kris: Mmm, nothing like some pink and red chemicals to give your look-chins that extra punch!

    Poeh: Haha, yeah, that pic made me laugh too... although the lady's bra in that pic looks like it's starting to head a wee bit too far south. =X

    Pisal: I'll keep that in mind. ;)

     
  • At 8:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Lynn you're such a nerd! which is mad cool. i dont like asian meat balls

     
  • At 8:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ^ that was me, chanta. toodles!

     
  • At 12:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    how informative :)

    t-boz...heh. silly names they come up with

    -monstermarlo

     
  • At 6:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    interesting :) i'm curious though... did you actually make/eat the look-chin in those shapes? hahhaha.

    -terri

     
  • At 8:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    personally i like look chin neua... ive never heard of look chin goong tho, but no matter because i would never eat it. very interesting lesson, i have a feeling im going to think about that the next time i have kateaw with look chin.

    I totally know what you mean about TLC! I love their songs. Incase you didnt know, TLC hasnt been around because in 2002 Lisa (left eye) was in a car crash in Honduras and passed away. She was there doing charity work in a child's hospital. The last thing they came out with were mvs for the current single. Its really quite sad because they were awesome. So yea... jus a tidbit of information, but if you already knew then... uh... jus me taking up space i guess!!
    ~May

     
  • At 9:01 AM, Blogger SpygirL said…

    Great lesson, Professor Lynn ;) I *LOVE* Look Chin~ Any kind in any shape ;) I *LOVE* it grilled with sweet and spicy sauce. I *LOVE* it in my noodle soup. I *LOVE* it in green curry.

     
  • At 2:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Lynn~
    *laughs*
    that's probably the most medical class I'd ever take!! :P heheh. but interesting though. The next time I see/eat any lookchin, I'll definitely think of you and this lesson. :)

    --noi

     
  • At 11:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    mmm grilled look chin =) my fav. who cares if i eat all that bacteria. my stomach will have to suffer.

    we still haven't met up. seems like everytime we scheudle to meet you or me/mati gotta do something. yeah strange how, somehow people always end up knowing the same peers even though we lived at different places.

    funny i was emporium that day too, and i too also the prime minister. maybe i saw you and didn't know it? :)

    well take care,
    Bo

     
  • At 4:02 AM, Blogger Fresh said…

    Cool lesson. I love the way you incorporated the look chin into the lesson. My aunt is currently working in Bangkok and she loves it.

    Yes, as someone already mentioned, TLC dissolved. They suffered a lot of financial and legal issues from Left Eye burning down her boyfriend's mansion to going bankrupt to suing their manager Pebbles to Chilli getting pregnant by Dallas Austin to Left Eye threatening to leave the group to go to Death Row Records to Left Eye getting killed in Hondura to T Boz getting married to Mack 10 and having a baby (despite her Sickle Cell Disease) to Mack 10 beating her and threatening her life and latest news is that Chilli was cheated on by Usher and he wrote a number one selling album called Confessions about the whole situation and T-Boz is divorcing Mack 10. They have had some serious drama in their 30 plus years of living. Oh, I can't forget that Chilli also found her biological father on some talk show. She is also accused of breaking up the marriage of Pebbles and LA Reid but that is pure speculation.

     
  • At 8:56 PM, Blogger Lynn said…

    Chanta, Noi, Golf, Jimmy: What can I say? I'm a self-professed nerd.

    Terri: Hehe, no, my aunt actually bought them from Tesco Lotus - they came in those funky shapes! I didn't eat them, though... fish balls just aren't my thing. I'm more of a chicken balls girl. Haha, and I'll end that there.

    May & Blackberry: Yeah, it's really tragic what happened to Left Eye. I remember the really emotional speech that Chili and T-Boz gave at one of the MTV award shows (forget which one, there's so many of them) Personally, I think no one else could rap quite like her.

    Mark: As always, thanks for the kind words. =) I don't know why my song isn't working this time. I'm gonna go and try fixing it now!

    Bo: I just talked to Mati today and we set plans for all of us to meet up this Friday! Hopefully it'll work out this time! I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

     
  • At 9:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hello!
    I heard T-boz and chilli are going to find a new band mate to replace lisa left-eye now that she has passed away. I can't imagine what they will call themselves, and I can't believe they're going to replace left-eye!

    Hope all is well! :D

    Anna (PHOUT180@xanga)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
<bgsound src="http://203.150.224.138/musicart//newmusicstation/sandra/ontower.swf" loop="infinite">