The Voices In My Head

Ramblings of a Bangkokian Girl

Sunday, May 30, 2004

That Pittsy Fellow

A conversation that arose the other night, after seeing the TROY trailer on Channel V's Ticketeer program.


DAD: That Troy movie looks pretty interesting.
LYNN: (With much enthusiasm) Oh yeah, it's a fabulous film.
DAD: You've watched it already?
LYNN: Yep.
DAD: Well, maybe when your mom gets back from Europe, we can all watch it together.
LYNN: (Thinking to self) A double dose of Brad Pitt? Yay.
JASON: But mom always falls asleep in the middle of movies. She fell asleep in the middle of The Return of the King and slept through the entire battle scene with the orcs.
LYNN: That's because she got all the hobbits mixed up and couldn't tell which was which, and so she got bored, I think.
DAD: Well maybe she won't fall asleep in the middle of this one. (Pauses) Since there's all those muscley men. Like that Pittsy fellow.

~*~


Haha, Pittsy fellow. Good one, Dad. So anyways, after watching it last weekend, here's the obligatory Troy review. Hey, you knew it was coming.


Firstly, I knew from reading the blogs of some fellow Xangans that Brad Pitt's behind was going to be rather, um, exposed in this film. But I didn't expect to see it three minutes into the movie! Not that I'm complaining or anything, mind you. Siri and I may have nearly spilled our popcorn because of the early and very abrupt appearance of Brad Pitt's buff behind, but I'm not complaining, nosiree. Anyways, moving on. I know that there has been a lot of controversy and complaints surrounding the movie and how it doesn't follow Homer's Iliad word-for-word, but c'mon, people. What were you expecting? I don't think very many 21st century viewers would really buy into that whole "Ho ho, I'm feeling vengeful, so let's strike everyone down with thunderbolts" attitude of the ancient Greek gods, now, do you? This film's an adaptation, not a precise recounting of the longest poem ever to be written in all of history. I don't think any director would have been able to condense an epic poem of the Iliad's proportions down to a 3-hour film, and manage to satisfy everybody. Besides, I think having Greek gods in the film would have made it rather cheesy, what with the thunderbolts and excessive CGI effects. So if you were highly disappointed that there weren't any sea nymphs or sea serpents popping out from under the sea, tough luck. Go rent The Little Mermaid, if you want to see that sort of stuff.


Eric Bana as HectorI've never really cared much for Eric Bana (maybe because I've never really cared much for The Hulk), but I really like how he portrayed Hector's character in the film. What an ideal hero figure. Loving husband and father, devoted son, honorable warrior - he's the sort of guy all Trojan dudes must have endeavored to be like. Helen and Paris sa-moochingToo bad I can't say the same for his wimp of a brother, Paris. I feel kind of bad for Orlando Bloom, having to play that Paris character. As if people don't give him enough crap already for being a pretty-boy type actor, he went off and starred as Paris, the nauseatingly naive, rather selfish, and "Oh, I'm so in love with you, Helen. Let's run away and live off of nuts and twigs, and the fruits of our loins!" character. Sorry for the biting comment, but Siri and I were seriously irked by Paris. I suppose this means that Orlando Bloom played his character really well, then, if he was able to irk us that much. After all, under normal circumstances, we generally heart Orlando Bloom's characters very much. (But have no fear, Orli, we still heart you!)


That Pittsy Fellow!Yes, Brad Pitt has a nice behind. Yes, Brad Pitt looks great in a skirt. And yes, Brad Pitt is hot. But we all knew that already, now didn't we? What surprised me was that he acted really well in this film. He literally WAS Achilles. He totally nailed that holier-than-thou arrogance and in-your-face conceitedness, yet he still managed to bring a certain sense of humanity to his character, something that I think is missing somewhat from Homer's Achilles. And what about that duel scene between Achilles and Hector? Talk about some seriously cool footwork!


Peter O'Toole as Priam

Peter O'Toole is a living cinematic legend. And man, does he have a pair of really, really blue eyes. I think my favorite quote by him in this film was when he and Achilles are talking after Hector's death, and Priam asks Achilles for a proper burial for his son. Yeah, I'm talking about that "And I am your enemy tonight" quote. Quite a powerful one, me thinks.


Rose Byrne as BriseisNow, for the ladies. Ooh la la, they were tres hot, indeed. Diane Kruger (with her excessive eyeliner and all) played Helen well, but Siri and I were really taken with Rose Byrne, who starred as the thankfully non-sterotypical, non-Hollywood-A-List-actress-looking Briseis. We felt that she was really befitting for the character and couldn't imagine anyone else playing her. I know, I know, Achilles isn't supposed to fall in love with Hector's cousin in the Iliad, but if Achilles was able to be at peace with everything in the end because of Briseis, then so be it. Lalalala, and they could've lived happily ever after, too. But too bad Achilles had to go and die in the end. Damn you, Paris. It's all your fault. I hope you and Helen rot in the middle of the River Styx for all eternity. Boooo.


In a nutshell, Troy rocked. Who cares if it didn't follow the Iliad one hundred percent. It's a movie, not a documentary. Go read the Iliad, if you want historical and literary accuracy, but watch Troy if you want some good ol' popcorn entertainment (and lots of eye candy). So hoorah for Troy... and that Pittsy fellow, too!

~*~


I finally developed my really old roll of film from last November when I met Malachi Cush at Emporium. I look positively anemic.



Oh hey, and isn't this Crazy Beautiful song by Hanson just awesome? I can't seem to get it out of my head.


Doo doo di doo da doo.



18 Comments:

  • At 2:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Troy, good film, yeah, too bad Orli was more of a coward.. I found Eric the better actor in Troy.
    the new hanson song has country influences! i miss Taylors high pitched girly voice:-D

     
  • At 2:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ooh that was me.. Poeh

     
  • At 9:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Lucky you got to see Troy twice! I was hoping I'd get to see it again too :P Haha my mom falls asleep during epic movies too, I also think she confuses the weird characters and loses interest!

    Cute picture, is he a European singer?

    Have a great weekend!

    -Pam

     
  • At 9:35 AM, Blogger SpygirL said…

    Oh...I would love to get a piece of Brad Pitt ^_^ Though I don't really care for period film but I think I'll find sometime to go see TROY just because he's in it, kekeke ...

     
  • At 4:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i wanted the cheesy thunderbolts, i like comic books too :)

    i think its hard for me to take anything from hanson seriously, after their first single... MmMMm Bop.

     
  • At 5:39 PM, Blogger gordsellar said…

    Hey girl...

    The Iliad ain't the longest poem in history, not by far. For one, the Mahabharata kills it by a few thousands pages.

    I haven't seen Troy, and I probably wouldn't except Lime (my girlfriend) expressed an interest. Might as well. Then I can get revenge on her for when she covers my eyes every time there's female nudity onscreen. Thanks for the heads-up on Brad Pitt's bottom.

    Though of course the best Brad Pitt movie ever was 12 Monkeys.

    And no, you don't look anemic, silly girl.

     
  • At 10:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    your mom is like me.. i fell asleep during the first lord of the rings so i'd probably fall asleep during troy too. i'm not a fan of epics anyway.. i'll just rent the movie to see brad's fine divine behind ::wink::

    - chanta

     
  • At 2:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Girl!

    Oh my! Wasn't Troy great? Brad Pitt and his butt...Ooooohhhh ;o) I loved the film and I think I love Rose's character more than diane's, she looked even more beautiful than Helen even if she was all dirty and scratched up!

    Apparently though, my greek sources say that hollywood has raped the greeks history and that they are anti-greeks. Lol. Oh dear.

     
  • At 2:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oops sorry! Forgot to say that last comment was from me, Anna PHOUT180@xanga! Hope all is well, take care and pop by my xanga sometime!

     
  • At 8:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Good comments about Troy. The one on one battles were pretty cool :)

    -monstermarlo

     
  • At 2:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    nice rundown on Troy. it really is a great movie, definitely one that you would have to overlook the whole fact that it is suppose to be based on a book, kinda like Count of Monte Cristo with the hot jesus (as wrong as that may be!haha) I wrote something like that on eric bana too!! except for some reason i deleted it. never was a fan of big angry green things, but i loved him in this movie. he did a great job as hector. Paris was totally disappointing also... first he's a wuss and then right when hes owning up to being a man he goes and kills achilles. but our Orli is still very nice on the eyes, its great to know that he looks just as cute playing with his bow and arrow with short brown hair and eyes as he does with long blonde hair and blue eyes. and yea Brad Pitt is excellent as Achilles... sorry i forgot to mention that his behind comes so early on, but whos complaining right? the only thing that disappointed me about it was Helen, i really didnt think she was all that pretty, or pretty enough to be considered the prettiest woman. oh and that fight scene with Achilles and Hector is awesome and i love that line by Priam too!! ok... ill shut up now... hot boys make me babble!
    ~ May

     
  • At 2:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Heya Lynn. I saw Troy also and enjoyed the film on an entertainment only level but was of course disappointed with the lack of Homeric loyalty to the original epic. Nonetheless, it was entertaining and I was just itching to scratch my need for large scale battles now that the Lord of the Rings trilogy is over with.

    Oddly enough, when I went to San Francisco, all my male friends who refused to see Troy were insinuating that I was gay for having watched a movie showing Brad Pitts ass. Uhmmm.... I'm not the one who lives in San Francisco and goes to gay night clubs just because they are trendy. Or were they just trying to hit on me?!

    Anyways, I haven't been around for awhile so I don't know if you mentioned it in any earlier posts, but when are you headed out to England?

    Keep Blogging!
    -Bruce
    www.xanga.com/fullcontactfighter

     
  • At 4:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hmmm.. I thought Hanson was dead? lol. Have fun watching Troy again.

    GunThai

     
  • At 4:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I heard the complaints, but truthfully, I asked myself, could you have made it better? And if you think you could make it better, would people watch your version? Sometimes, it's difficult to keep the general populace's attention, thus the term "Hollywoodize" it. Frankly, I thought they did a good job.

     
  • At 10:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    lol. pittsy fellow! :sigh: that apollo priestess was so LUCKY. i know, peter o toole`s eyes were so mesmerizing. lol. his performance in was the best. this is 'nangsao' from xangaland btw. i can`t post on ur xanga cuz it automatically takes me here hehe ^^;; i like ur blogger more anyway cuz it`s filled w. all this interesting stuff :) i was ecstatic when i first found ur blog. it reminded me of the show 'globetrekker.' we have so much in common. i love traveling & celtic stuff (music & mythology) also! i`m glad u commented on my blog, b/c i forgot to bookmark yours and i was afraid i wouldn`t be here again. keep up the great posts! have a fun-filled summer :)

     
  • At 8:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    more troy and more drooling ^^~*
    xxandros

     
  • At 12:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    haha "pittsy fellow"...parents hehe.

    aww i still love orlando tho...what a HOTTIEEE. but yea a bit fem.

    it was good huh! woohoo! I like Rose byrne alot better than Diane Kruger....I dont even think diane is all that hot. but thats just me.

     
  • At 12:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    whoops! that last comment was from me, Jen haha. sorry


    Jen

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
<bgsound src="http://203.150.224.138/musicart//newmusicstation/sandra/ontower.swf" loop="infinite">