The Voices In My Head

Ramblings of a Bangkokian Girl

Sunday, December 21, 2003

"White shores are calling..."

Paddy's here! He arrived here from London this morning and called me twice while I was watching Return of the King, but I was so absorbed with the movie I didn't even notice my phone vibrating. I called him back afterwards and - get this - he has this super cool Brit accent now! Haha, yeah, the last time I ever saw him was way back in sixth grade, but he had an American accent then. Man, I wish I had a classy British accent, too. Ah, well fat chance, I don't think that'll ever happen since I sound like I have a mouthful of rocks whenever I attempt to talk like a Brit.


Anyway, Return of the King is undoubtedly THEE greatest cinematic achievement of our era. I was left thoroughly enthralled and in absolute awe; it was a truly AMAZING film. I'm not just talking about the incredible special effects, dramatic shots of picturesque landscapes and the joy in once again seeing every breathing woman's favorite blonde elf, but I'm talking about the quiet emotion, intense war scenes, sweeping chaos, and everlasting hope that resonated throughout the entire film. This is what epic Hollywood movies should be all about.


Patrick told me beforehand that it was an emotional film, but no one warned me or told me to bring along a dozen extra packs of kleenix, too! Niagra Falls was nothing compared to my leaky eyes, and because of that I had to race to the bathroom after the movie in search of some tissue. Haha, and turns out they had Annie Lennox's "Into the West" song playing on the overhead speaker in the bathroom, and so that nearly made me get all onion-eyed all over again. Therefore, consider yourself warned: make sure to bring along some extra tissue if you're going to watch ROTK!


WARNING: Scroll down to the snowman if you don't want to stumble across any ROTK spoilers.


As with all LOTR flicks, this one definitely leaves no emotion untapped. Let's see, there was the part where Eowyn reveals herself to Nazgul and cries out, "I will smite you if you touch him!" before fearlessly defending Theoden. Boy, can she kick some major orc ass! The one scene where Arwen looks into the eyes of her future son and forsees her own death was absolutely heartbreaking, and the part where brave little Pippen gets down onto his knees and swears to serve Denethor in return for Boromir's sacrificial death was like witnessing innocence drain away from a young child. One of the closing scenes, where all the members of Rohan and Minas Tirith bow down to the four hobbits, was incredibly moving. Ah, and Sam! Could anyone possibly ask for a more loyal and true friend? I felt so incredibly bad for him when Frodo lost faith in his loyalty and ended up following Gollum into Shelob's lair...


Gaahhhh! And Shelob's lair! Even though J warned me about Shelob beforehand (last time he didn't warn me about the mondo huge spider in Harry Potter and I nearly had a freakin heart attack because of that), nothing could have prepared me for the sheer icky, icky ewness of what has to be the biggest arachnid I've ever seen so incredibly close up and in such detail (we got sucky, crane-your-head-so-far-back-you-get-a-crick-in-your-neck seats in the 4th row). Haha, I'm not ashamed to admit that I fidgeted and squirmed around in my seat and shut my eyes during some of the Shelob scenes (like when she went scurrying like mad towards the camera - and us - eek!), but I have to say that it's rather embarrassing to have the little kid sitting next to you say to his mom, "Oh look mom, that grown-up lady next to me is scared of just a spider!". Gee...


(Okay, it's safe to continue reading now.) The reunion amongst the remaining members of the fellowship was beautiful, but despite the supposedly happy and conclusive ending, you can't help but feel that there was still a lingering sense of sadness at the end.


God, and don't even talk about the end. Stupid female hormones left me bawling like a loon, haha.


Despite the emotional intensity of the film, there were still a few light moments. Orlando Bloom literally ruled this one scene during the Minas Tirith battle (you'll definitely know it when you see it). Hehe, all that swordfighting and archery and he didn't even break a sweat! Whoo, go Orlie! Even my mom's a fan. (As is practically every single woman below the age of 90 who's not lacking a pulse. )



Sigh. What a magical movie.


~*~


Has anyone heard Annie Lennox's "Into the West" song yet? I honestly feel that this is her best performance yet. Her voice is hauntingly beautiful, very stirring, and filled with such a yearning sense of both hope and despair. I bought the soundtrack today after I got out of the cinema, and it is pure gold. The poignant notes of the Irish tin whistle are just lovely, too.



These mousepads of Liv Tyler came with the movie tix.
Isn't she gorgeous?



So the great Lord of the Rings epic has finally come to a close, and so has a three year-long Xmas tradition of going to the movies to watch what has to be the greatest journey to have ever been translated onto film ever. If you haven't watched it yet, what are you waiting for?


~*~


Into the West
Annie Lennox

Lay down your sweet and weary head
The night is falling, you have come to journey's end
Sleep now and dream of the ones who came before
They are calling from across the distant shore

Why do you weep? What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see all of your fears will pass away
Safe in my arms, you're only sleeping

What can you see on the horizon?
Why do the white gulls call?
Across the sea a pale moon rises
The ships have come to carry you home

And all will turn to silver glass
A light on the water
All souls pass

Hope fades into the world of night
Through shadows falling out of memory and time
Don't say we have come now to the end
White shores are calling
You and I will meet again
And you'll be here in my arms
Just sleeping

And all will turn to silver glass
A light on the water
Grey ships pass
Into the west





<< past entries | latest entry >>




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
<bgsound src="http://203.150.224.138/musicart//newmusicstation/sandra/ontower.swf" loop="infinite">