The Voices In My Head

Ramblings of a Bangkokian Girl

Tuesday, December 16, 2003

"In the lane snow sunshine is glistenin', walkin' in a winter wonderland..."

I went shopping with my mom yesterday. What was originally intended to be a quick little trip to the shopping mall in search of a few "necessary" things for P'Ju's upcoming wedding, instead turned out to be a full-blown shopping frenzy.

Alas, behold the devastating aftermath.




Sigh. You must understand that signs that scream "70% off!!!" are excrutiatingly hard to ignore and overlook, much less resist. We tried to restrain ourselves, really we did. We took about six steps into the mall (really, no joke), but got, ahem, "temporarily postponed" by a huge display of gorgeous, absolutely stunning evening gowns that were on sale for heart-stoppingly low prices before getting "momentarily distracted" by these to-die-for shoes that were - ooooh - but look! Look at the lovely handbags over there, Mom...!

I must say I'm rather ashamed of my exceedingly unrestrained behavior. But it's the holiday season, surely that's excuse enough to go a tad bit shopping-crazy. Wouldn't you agree?


~*~


"Winter" has finally hit Thailand! I put quotations around the word winter because my interpretation of winter most likely isn't on par with that of most folks. My definition of a deliciously cold Thai winter is comprised of sunshine-filled days lilting with light breezes and cool, clear night skies with temperatures that dip steeply into the chilly, crisp 60s. Last night, as I sat studying for midterms on the balcony outside my room, these huge gusts of incredibly frosty wind came blasting at me from across the lake behind my house, thus rendering me into pointy, glacial Lynn icicles. Brrrrrrr. 69 degrees Fahrenheit and I was left shivering like crazy as my teeth clattered in fervent harmony to the Linkin Park Meteora CD my brother had blasting away in the room next to me.

That being said, you can probably imagine the various, multiple shades of blue I turned last March during my trip to Europe. Indeed, I dare say even Picasso would have been impressed with all the pretty hues of blue.


~*~


It's this time of the year that I love the most. It's this time of the year when air-conditioners shut down all over the country and windows get thrown open with grand celebratory gusto (or maybe it's only like that at my house). It's this time of the year when a rather odd, almost unsettling feeling washes over me as I try to fall asleep at night without the usual subdued buzz of the air-conditioner humming to me from across my room. It's this time of the year when, instead of the air-conditioner lulling me to sleep, it is the cool and gentle breezes rolling in through my window that calm me; that, in addition to the sound of the occasional lapping of the waves coming from the lake outside. It's this time of the year when the air smells different, or rather, perhaps, I smell the air differently.

It's this time of the year when I take my dear sweet time while walking down the bustling streets of Bangkok in absolutely no hurry at all to escape the sweltering afternoon sun in search of an air-conditioned haven. It's this time of the year when you can see the spectacle of people on the streets bundled up into tight, round balls of scarves, sweaters, jackets, and coats (you'd think it were the frigid Arctic winds they were braving instead of the not-that-cold-at-all-to-the-many-tourists-who-visit-Thailand-and-parade-around-in-very-short-shorts-and-tees, slightly polluted Bangkokian wind). It's this time of the year when I brave the occasional zipping-by-like-mad motorcycle and roll down the windows as far as they can possibly go in order to relish the cold bursts of night air as I race to drop off three very overdue DVDs at Blockbuster ten minutes before closing time at midnight. It's this time of the year when Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey, and Christina Aguilera come bellowing out (octave-hopping notes embellished with falsettos and all) through department store speakers all over Bangkok to wish me "a merry little Christmas" as the majority of the city's Buddhist shoppers happily snap up gifts and presents around me to give away to friends and loved ones this coming December 25th.

I love this time of the year!! Wherever you are in the world, and regardless of whatever religion/faith you believe in, happy holidays, everyone!


~*~






<< past entries | latest entry >>





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
<bgsound src="http://203.150.224.138/musicart//newmusicstation/sandra/ontower.swf" loop="infinite">