The Voices In My Head

Ramblings of a Bangkokian Girl

Wednesday, November 05, 2003

Laboratory Randomness and the Girl With the Guilty Conscience

These are a few of the things I have learned while spending the past couple of days toiling away in the lab while working on my thesis:

- I am an evil person. I was given the responsibility of gassing the rats to the point of unconsciousness (whereby I also inadvertently inhaled big whiffs of Ether and was left feeling rather woozy and light-headed. Not very pleasant, let me tell you.), drawing blood from their inferior vena cavas (while they were still alive and breathing), and decapitating () them (Dr. Naovarat needed the brains for one of her studies) so that the next person could remove the organs. I am a horrible, horrible person. I should be imprisoned for a century. Actually, no, I should be guillotined (and better yet, at Place de la Concord). I had a bad dream last night involving a talking mouse who looked an awful lot like Stuart Little. Guilty conscience much?

- P'Poh, as hard as he may try, cannot sing Craig David's Hidden Agenda song. I'm sorry, but you just can't quite hit the high notes, hun.

- He did discover, however, that closing one nostril can help you speak English with a flawless American accent (long story).

- Standing and scurrying around the lab from 9 AM to 1 AM is very tiring (I've only just regained feeling in my toes). On the plus side, despite the late night meals of yummy Thai dishes like Khao Pad Krapow and Pad Thai Woon Sen, I don't think I'll need to work out for at least another week (secret yay).

- With only the radio to keep the lab a-rockin into the wee hours of the morn, I have learned that listening to wonderfully cheesy Thai love songs on 95.5 Virgin Hitz is fun (that Fan Chun song is the cutest thing ever).

- Listening to wonderfully cheesy Brit Pop on 102.5 is even more fun.

- As is listening to wonderfully cheesy songs from the 80's on 105.5.

- Eating blueberry cheesecake is fun, too, but I'm getting side-tracked here.

- On the other hand, as P'Ying and I discovered today, cleaning out reeking rat cages filled with bodily fluids and excretions mixed with wood chips is not much fun.

- Moo should seriously consider a side-line job as a butcher. He's, uh, rather adept with sharp objects.

- James, who was in charge of removing the femurs from the rats (he needs to use them for a study he's doing), would make a pretty kick-ass drummer. He air-drummed (and rather well, too) along to Linkin Park's Numb song whilst substituting rat femurs in the place of drumsticks. As you can see, the long hours were beginning to take its toll on us.

- Dr. Teerayut likes Jay Chou's "In the Name of the Father" song. How cool is that?

- According to P'Poh, Thais traditionally believe that phallic objects are extremely sacred. As you can probably imagine, this lead to a rather interesting conversation along the same vein as one of Carrie, Samantha, Miranda, and Charlotte's conversations in Sex and the City.

- The DJ on 95.5 said that Love Storm (starring Vic and Ken from F4) will be hitting Thai TV in the upcoming weeks (the FOB in me is rejoicing, super duper big yay).

- Naeglerian is right. Being sleepy is very much like being drunk. Add Ether to the equation and you have a rambling idiot (as you are currently witnessing right now).

- In my sleepy rather drunken-like state the other morning, I stepped on a bright green snake that resembled a garden hose as I took the shortcut through the garden at the back of my uni. Luckily I was wearing heels and so it slithered right through the space beneath my shoes. Another adventerous day in the life of Lynn.

- If I have to hear Tata Young's Yahk Kep Teu Wai Tung Song Khon song one more time, I will scream (the fact that everyone else in the lab launched into song everytime it came on didn't help much either). Every radio station in Bangkok has only played it a gazillion times.

- But playing Blue's Guilty song or Palmy's Proong Nee Ahd Mai Mee Chun song a gazillion times is okay.

- P'Poh has a child ghost in his house. She plays around and frolics at night and sometimes even enters his dreams. The fact that he jokingly said that he'll tell her to follow me home by riding in the backseat of my car was NOT funny.

- In the early hours of the morning, when Bangkok streets are eerily vacant and calm, it only takes 15 minutes for me to drive home, as opposed to the usual 40 minutes (that is, if traffic is accommodating on that particular day). Well, okay, the swift drive home might have also been due to the fact that I (sorta) sped home at super sonic speeds as P'Poh's creepy ghost stories floated around in my head (but hopefully not in the backseat as well. Eep!).

- Despite the fact that the past couple of days has left me haggard and somewhat drained, the Santana concert on Monday night freakin rocked! Oh YEAH.



<< past entries | latest entry >>




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
<bgsound src="http://203.150.224.138/musicart//newmusicstation/sandra/ontower.swf" loop="infinite">