The Voices In My Head

Ramblings of a Bangkokian Girl

Friday, October 24, 2003

Currently Reading:

Irish Blessings: A Photographic Celebration
By Ashley Shannon

~*~

Sorry about the multiple entries, but I just felt like blogging a bit. I just had this long talk with Gug on the phone. It made me think of one of markboonya's entries about people who you can just click with as friends...a sort of "soul mate" in terms of friendship. I feel so fortunate to have a tight group of friends... these amazing people from high school whom, even though I don't see or talk to for months on end, I can still pick up with as though the last time I saw them was just a few hours ago.

We started talking about the Pattaya trip this weekend, and then ended up delving into other things: the future, how we've changed since high school, what we want from life, things like that... Heh, and of course we started talking about ruang kwam rak, too. I don't know if it's just the guys at our universities or what, but we've concluded that it's practically impossible to find decent Thai guys (I mean Thai guys who are born and raised here) who you can just click with. I remember having a conversation with Dea and Siri about the same thing. A lot of Thai guys (at our unis, at least) switch girlfriends like accessories. It's like, oh, I have my car, flashy cell phone, and girlfriend hanging off my arm, I'm so fly. Or some of them expect their girlfriends to be the clingy, non-independent types who are constantly there for them at their every call and whim. Do I sound cynical and pessimistic? I probably do, but it's just what some of my friends and I have observed these past few years while attending Thai universities. I know there's guys like that everywhere, but with Thai guys, it's extra hard to see eye to eye with them about certain things. I guess it's because of the different upbringing, different ideas and different expectations. I don't know. But coming from an international school and upbringing, we were always sort of caught in the middle of the western and eastern world. We were brought up to think like people from the west, but were still immersed in the ways of the east. As a result, we're a sort of mix of both, neither one nor the other. Makes me think of this one guy I used to know who said international school graduates are "third culture people". We're ethnically one culture, are born into another culture, and grow up surrounded and influenced by another completely different culture.

Anyway, guy ranting aside, a lot of what Gug said today got me thinking long and hard. Who knows what we'll be like a few years from now... where we'll be... what sort of lives we'll be living out. But, whatever the case, I guess that the not knowing part is what makes it all the more exciting. Hmm...



<< past entries | latest entry >>



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
<bgsound src="http://203.150.224.138/musicart//newmusicstation/sandra/ontower.swf" loop="infinite">