The Voices In My Head

Ramblings of a Bangkokian Girl

Tuesday, October 21, 2003

Currently Reading:

Memoirs of a Geisha

By Arhur Golden


~*~

So. Today was weird.

I dropped by my uni in the morning because I had to attend this conference thing about the significance of research, blah blah blah. Anyhoo, afterwards, as I was walking to my car, this car with 50 Cents blasting the life out of its speakers slows down next to me, and this guy with flappy hair down to his shoulders and a big smirk on his face sticks his head out and calls, "Nong, nong!" (Nong is a term Thai people use to refer to people younger than themselves). I, with my head in the clouds and filled to the brim with countless random things, don't realize that it's me he's referring to and continue on walking. His friend speeds up a little and he calls out again, "NONG! DAI YIN REU PLAO?!" (Can you hear me?). Hell yeah. Stop yelling already. I turn to look at him and he continues, "Koh beu toh tee haw noy" (Give me the phone # to your dorm). I don't stay in the school dorms, and even if I did, I wouldn't give it to some random guy I didn't know. "Uhh, mai mee ka" (I don't have one), I reply. Male laughter ensues and I estimate that there must've been at least 4-5 guys in there... I'm not so sure because I couldn't really see through the tinted windows. I turn around and continue on marching, a little quicker this time. His friend speeds up again, gets a little too close to the sidewalk, splashes a big murky puddle of yesterday's rainwater onto my shoes and, with an even bigger smirk on his face (and obviously enjoying every moment of this), calls out again, "Laew beu meu teu la?" (What about your cell phone number?).

Uh huh. Yeah right. So, I'm pretty PO'd at this point. I'm standing there in my favorite pair of shoes (completely drenched at this point) with squishy toes, when suddenly, my phone rings. It's my brother reminding me to pick up some poster paper for him on the way home. I ask him what color he needs and tell him that I also have to stop by Central to pick up a present for P'Ying and so I might get home a little late. I get off the phone, get ready to eloquently emit a long string of Thai curse words at them over the sorry state of my ruined shoes, when the guy with the flappy hairdo suddenly gives this small, apologetic nod and says in English, "Oh, so sorry, not bother again." The window zips back up and the car speeds off in a hurry.

Heh. Was that weird or what?



<< past entries | latest entry >>




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
<bgsound src="http://203.150.224.138/musicart//newmusicstation/sandra/ontower.swf" loop="infinite">