The Voices In My Head

Ramblings of a Bangkokian Girl

Sunday, January 25, 2004

Gong Xi Fa Cai!



I watched The Last Samurai yesterday afternoon and it was absolutely amazing. Tom Cruise gave an incredible performance and I suppose this means I can't poke fun at his Jerry Maguire "you complete me" line anymore. Darn. He deserves his Golden Globe nomination and he deserves a Golden Globe win even more! Go Tom! Ken Watanabe totally kicked ass, as did the dude that played his son. (Arwen and I think he's kind of hot.)



I had so much fun at the Silly Fools concert, but unfortunately I had to leave after the fifth song because of a Chinese New Year family dinner I had to attend. But it's all good because they'll be back at my Uni on February 2nd for another gig with Blackhead. Yippity yay.


We went to a great restaurant in Yaowarat (Chinatown) for dinner last night. Family dinners with my relatives are always, uh, entertaining. As usual, my aunties were extra boisterous and the ai-yahs were extra plentiful. The only thing that was a little out of the ordinary was the fact that my nieces and nephews were on their best behavior. They kept the clamor to a minimum and the bickering to a fervently whispered hush. Plus, only two glasses were spilled and not a single arm or leg was punched or kicked at. Amazing. Of course, this impeccable decorum was due to the little red envelopes that awaited them. Lucky bastards practically got a schmillion red envelopes this year, while I went home with less $$$ than my youngest nephew, Nong Mann. Ah, another reason why turning 21 plain sucks.


~*~


Peter called on Wednesday to tell me that he's already arrived from Taiwan! Awesome - I haven't seen him since high school graduation and I'm always busy everytime he stops through Bangkok. I definitely have to meet up with him this time around.


Met up with Gug and Siri for dinner on Wednesday evening. Gug and I had a big pizza craving that day, and so we went pizza-hunting through Siam Square. We were going to eat at a pizza place called Holy Pizza since it serves authentic Italian pizza (like Grappino's, there's none of that Pizza Hut crap), and had a pretty funky menu with pizza names like 'Vatican's Pizza' and 'Pizza Yum Yum'. The slogan was pretty chuckle-worthy - "Holy Pizza - the quickest way to heaven" -, the shop looked quaint and cute, and the pizza images had us salivating like Pavlov's dogs. So we threw open the door, stepped inside, and prepared to take a big whiff of some delish pizza scents but were instead greeted with putrid paint and chemical stenches instead. Bleh. We quickly shut the door and continued on with our pizza quest. After much searching, hunting, and seeking, we finally saw our beacon in the night.




Okay, so we ended up succumbing to some Pizza-Hut-crap at Pizza Hut, but ah well, pizza's pizza so long as it has oodles of cheese and can satisfy a strong and urgent pizza craving... which was precisely what Gug and I were suffering from. Since we hadn't had any lunch, we were famished, and so we practically inhaled our Pepperoni Lovers and New Orleans Lovers pizzas when they finally arrived.


Afterward, we headed back to Siri's place and lounged around on the eighth floor where the swimming pool is. The floor where the swimming pool's located connects Siri's condo with the service apartment/hotel building, and so there were some hotel guests swimming around there too.



The girls and I had a grand old time babbling away. The weather was great and the view of the city from up above was dazzling. After we'd been up there for about an hour or so, a big group of farang guys came trooping out of the hotel and plopped their stuff down onto a couple of chairs next to us. They were roaring and bellowing to one another in some obscure and unrecognizable Eastern European language, and were hecka loud. They stripped down to their horrid-looking speedos and started strutting around like they were a couple of super hip Adonises. Ewww. You know that one episode of Malcolm in the Middle where Lois has to body-shave Hal? Yeah, well these very hirsute guys were also in dire need of a body-shave! Blecch.


Anyway, we ignored them and continued on talking. At one point, one of the hairy farang guys suddenly grabbed his towel and started doing this obscenely hideous pelvic wiggle/shake thing in our general direction, and as luck has it, I was the only one who witnessed it because Gug's back was turned to them and Siri was busy talking on the phone. Gah! My eyes, my eyes! We were beginning to feel a little uncomfortable, and so we grabbed our shoes, and as we were putting them on, one of the guys started talking to us.


Pelvic-Wiggling Dude: Brrr. I cold. I borrow yours? (Points to Siri's cardigan lying on one of the chairs.)
Us: (Weak, polite laughter.) Heh. Heh. Um, NO.
Hairy Farang Dude: You let me borrow? Very cold.
Siri: You got your own shirt over there. (Points to his grubby T-shirt lying on the chair next to us.)
Hairy Farang Dude: Not warm enough. (Flashes greasy grin.) You put on for me. (Motions to his own furry, woolly-mammoth-like shoulders.)
Us: (Weak, not-so-polite laughter.)


We grabbed our things, and as we were scurrying towards the elevator, we heard them bellowing some other indiscernible English words at us. Haha, stupid farang idiots. It's guys like them who make the male farang tourists who visit Thailand look bad. Anyway, we had a good laugh over it later on, especially that pelvic-wiggling/shaking dude. But still, man, that was pretty nasty, haha.


~*~


I think I'm coming down with something. My throat feels like it's been scraped raw by sandpaper and I had a slight fever in the afternoon. Gotta go find the Strepsils.




<< past entries | latest entry >>




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
<bgsound src="http://203.150.224.138/musicart//newmusicstation/sandra/ontower.swf" loop="infinite">